Here’s the 3rd part of this series. You can browse through the blog site to find earlier posts.
9. Become a virtual assistant
Are you super organized and love working behind the scenes? If so, you might be the perfect candidate to start a virtual assistant (VA) business.
A VA helps entrepreneurs, businesses, and executives organize their personal and professional lives. There’s a broad spectrum of duties, ranging from appointment scheduling to basic marketing management and everything in between. And everything is done online.
Why become a VA?
- Work with your ideal client. Even if you don’t know at the start, over time you’ll find out who you love working with and what you love to do for them. You can evolve your business to cater to those preferences.
- Interact with people from all over the world. All you need is an internet connection to do your work, and you can have the chance to work with international clients and professionals.
- Grow your business into a network of VAs. If you become too busy or have growth goals, you can hire and train VAs to work under you and increase profits.
10. Try your hand at being an influencer
Because influencers have gotten in hot water for dishonest practices, there’s been a movement toward micro-influencers—profiles with smaller but more engaged followings. Good news: you don’t need millions of followers to earn money on Instagram.
Why be an influencer?
- It’s an opportunity to get an introduction to marketing—particularly valuable if you’re interested in pursuing that as a career or additional business venture.
- You’ll learn about new and interesting brands. You might discover products and companies you love that you never would have found had they not solicited your services.
- It’s so easy a monkey can do it. Well, not literally—but you can make your pet the star if you’re camera shy.
Here are our inspiring tips and stories to get you started as an influencer:
- What It Actually Takes to Become a Full-Time YouTuber: The “Yes Theory”
- How to Make Money on YouTube (Without a Million Subscribers)
- The Unfair Advantage of Making a Mega Influencer Your Co-Founder
11. Build apps and websites
If you’re tech savvy, acquire some coding skills and start building. Whether it’s mobile apps, Shopify apps, or websites, you can create digital products for purchase or as a service provider.
For example, you can create a custom Shopify theme template and sell it to merchants looking for an affordable DIY approach to designing their website. Or work with clients directly to build websites and apps tailored to their specific needs.
Why build apps and websites?
- Technology isn’t going anywhere, and the demand for the technical skills necessary to build apps and websites will only continue to grow.
- There’s an endless number of platforms and systems out there. If you get bored of one, learn and transition to another.
For more information on building apps, check out these articles from Shopify Partners:
12. Launch a podcast
If you like the sound of your own voice, consider recording it for a podcast. Podcasts are a great home business idea with multiple monetization options, similar to starting a blog.
Here’s what you need to start your podcast:
- A high-quality microphone
- Audio recording software
- Call recording software
To promote your podcast, consider collaborating with prominent figures as guests on your show. Encourage listeners to leave reviews and share your podcast with their friends and family.
Why start a podcast?
- Podcasts continue to grow in popularity. According to Podcast Insights, 51% of Americans have listened to a podcast.
- A successful podcast can lead to endless possibilities: turn your episodes into a blog, solicit sponsors and advertisers, and make connections you never would have been able to before.